The only planet type that can generate silver is an Asteroid Field.
Silver regenerates on a linear curve, unlike energy which regenerates on an S-curve. Being on a linear curve means that silver will regenerate at the planet's displayed rate at all times, until it reaches the silver cap.
Once an Asteroid Field is obtained, silver can be sent from that Asteroid Field to another planet and be used for upgrades.
All planet types have a silver cap:
- Planet: normal (baseline) silver cap.
- Foundry: the silver cap of an equivalent level Planet in the same space type.
- Asteroid Field: twice the silver cap of an equivalent level Planet in the same space type.
- Spacetime Rip: twice the silver cap of an equivalent level Planet in the same space type.
- Quasar: ten times the silver cap of an equivalent level Planet in the same space type.
Silver cap and regeneration rate factors:
- Space type
- Asteroid Field level
Remember, only Asteroid Fields can actually generate silver. To fill up the silver cap for another planet type, silver must be sent to it from an Asteroid Field.
Previously, silver was only used for upgrades. Dark Forest v0.6 introduced the mechanic of withdrawing silver to increase player score, it continued to the round 2 and for the round 3 this mechanic got removed.