- The contents of this article are up-to-date for Dark Forest v0.6 (Round 5).
Dark Forest is a universe-traversing, planet-capturing, real-time strategy game. The inspiration for the Dark Forest game is based on the novel of the same name, The Dark Forest, which is the second book in the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy.
Dark Forest is an open-source game, and all interactions within the game are validated by the Gnosis (previously xDai) blockchain.
Dark Forest rounds often have new objectives introduced with each round. Some of the previous objectives include the following:
- Total Energy Capacity of a players top 10 Celestial bodies (v0.3, v0.4 and v0.5)
- Total Silver mined by a player (v0.3, v0.4 and v0.5)
- Withdrawing Silver (v0.6.1, v0.6.2, v0.6.4 and v0.6.5)
- Finding Artifacts (v0.6.2, v0.6.4 and v0.6.5)
- Claiming a celestial body as near to the centre of the universe as possible (v0.6.3)
- Capturing an invaded celestial body (v0.6.5)
However, there are many ways to enjoy Dark Forest if you are not a competitive player. Some players like to explore, some players like to build plugins, and some players like to collect artifacts. The overarching objective of Dark Forest is to have fun which can be achieved through various means!
How to start playing
With the release of lobbies on Wednesday, 2 March 2022, it is now possible to create your own universe with many customizable parameters. These lobbies can be shared with your friends (or strangers!).